Your Child's Key Person
A keyworker has special responsibility for a particular child. The keyworker will work with the child and his/her parents/carers to ensure the child’s care and educational needs.
If a child is nervous or worried about attending the pre-school the key worker (in consultation with the leader) may arrange with parents to visit the child at home. The keyworker’s aim is to ensure the child is happy and feels secure at Ladybird’s and to observe, encourage and extend the child’s learning experiences.
Ideally the keyworker should stay with the child throughout his/her time at Great Orton. However it may not be possible should staff in Nursery change.
Main duties of a keyworker
- To provide for the emotional needs of the child, to comfort and reassure
- To care for the child
- To contribute to and ensure that our provision takes into account each child’s race, culture, religion, language and family values.
- To liaise with parents/carers
- To observe the child’s progress and with parent’s/carers permission, keep records of their child’s interests and development
- To meet the parents/carers at the beginning and end of each academic year and at other times when required.
- To be available to speak to the parents/carers at the beginning and end of sessions.
- To liaise with the other settings on the progress and the welfare of the child.
- If necessary to liaise with the allocated member of staff who is responsible for Child Protection.
- To liaise with the parents/carers and Special Education Needs Co-ordinators if there is any concern such as language, hearing or other areas.
- The keyworker will ensure parents/carers are always contacted about any concerns involving their child.
- The keyworker will respect confidentiality
The key worker is always aware of being a member of the Great Orton team and will work with, care for, look after and be responsible for other children attending sessions in addition to his/her keyworking children.
If you have any queries or concerns about our keyworking scheme please speak to the Leader or Chairperson of the setting Mrs. M Temple.